Amazingly, I have been working years for this day. In the meantime I have been jealous of the men with their deep pocket pants and hands free-living.
Now, I appreciate the style and craftsmanship of a high-end fashion bag. But, I would like my life to be simple enough that when I leave home for an errand or two, I do not have to pack a suitcase.
So here is what I put in my pocket when I leave the house now:
And here’s what it looks like unpacked:
Some of my strategies:
1) Keyless entry at the back door of the house. There is a backup plan if the batteries give out. I actually installed this when the kids were little and kept losing their door keys. I love it.
2) After decades of being cash only, I trust myself with a credit card that I pay off each month and get cash rewards on.
3) My and kid’s insurance information is on-file at the MDs, DDS, Urgent Care and hospital that we use. A copy of the cards are in my car’s glove box in case we are travelling far away and needed to access health care.
4) I do have a small backpack that I can use for shopping purchases, overnight trips and walking trips to the library.
5) I have systematically limited clothing purchases to ones with pockets, or in the case of a few Goodwill purchases, have added them on. I currently own one dress that does not have pockets. I only wear it to work, where I can slip my wallet and key into the work briefcase.
I think, by my next count of things in June, I can let go of the wallet. Which is a good thing, as I bought a hair dryer.